Prime Minister Andrej Babiš, who is charged with EU subsidy fraud, was
summoned by the police on Thursday for questioning in connection with the
case, the daily Právo reported on Saturday. His wife Monika and daughter
Adriana were also questioned.
Babiš and six others are suspected of having illegally acquired a 50 million crown EU grant for the Stork’s Nest farm and hotel compound which was part of his multi-billion crown empire after orchestrating a fake transfer of ownership to enable it to qualify for a grant intended for small and medium-sized businesses.
If convicted Andrej Babiš could face up to ten years in prison.
Prime Minister Andrej Babiš will call a second round of a job competition
for a new head of the General Inspectorate of the Security Forces. Only one
candidate entered the first round, which is insufficient to conduct the
The inspectorate’s former director Michal Murín left his post at the end of April following criticism from the prime minister. The inspectorate investigates crimes committed by members of the police.
The Czech anti-drug policy is among the most effective in the EU in spite
of a lower funding, the head of the National Monitoring Centre for Drugs
and Addiction Viktor Mravčík told journalists on Thursday in reaction to
a report by the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction.
Mravčík said that despite relatively low funding in this area the Czech Republic is successful in preventing infections and has the lowest hepatitis C infection rate among addicts in Europe. This is due to the high availability of disposable needles.
However he said that the network of treatment facilities in the country is insufficient and help is not always available to those who want to overcome their addiction.
Young Czechs remain at the top of the European ladder in the use of soft or
party drugs, according to a report by the European Centre for Drugs and
Thirty-seven percent of Czechs in the 15 to 16 age bracket said they smoked ‘pot,’ at least once, which is the highest figure in that age group across Europe.
In the 15 to 34 age group, 19.4 percent of Czechs said they had smoked marihuana at least once in the past 12 months, which ranked them third behind Italian and French respondents in the same age category.
Czechs also ranked high as regards the use of the party drug Ecstasy.
The number of non-smokers in the Czech Republic rose by 3.5 percent between
2016 and 2017, according to new data released on Thursday. Last year 24
percent of respondents in an annual survey conducted by the State Health
Institute said that they were smokers.
The latest figures were released on the first anniversary of the introduction of a ban on smoking in Czech bars and restaurants.
The acting health minister, Adam Vojtěch, said the prohibition was influencing the number of smokers in view of the fact that young people were the biggest smokers and many of them begin the habit in bars and nightclubs.
Russian opposition journalist Arkady Babchenko, who was shot dead in
Ukraine’s Kiev on Tuesday, lived in Prague for several months last year
but left the city in July because he was unsure whether the Czech
authorities would give him a residence permit, Lidovky.cz reported.
An acquaintance of his, the Czech journalist Ondřej Soukup, said that the slain journalist had lost hope of acquiring residence but did not wish to apply for asylum.
Babchenko had fled Moscow after receiving death threats. The Ukrainian authorities accuse the Russian government of being behind his killing.
Ukraine's secret service later said it had known about the murder attempt before it happened and had foiled it.
Police in the eastern Czech city of Ostrava shot and captured a man who
barricaded himself in a flat on Wednesday.
The man was reported to be armed and had threatened to ignite an explosive
Police captured the man soon after midday after shooting him in the leg.
A large area surrounding the site of the incident had been closed off by police with helicopters hovering overhead as part of the response.
Some media reports said the detained man was a former policeman.
A man suspected of attacking tennis star Petra Kvitová in December 2016
has been remanded in custody. On Thursday the district court in Prostějov,
where the incident took place, placed the suspect on remand on the
recommendation of the state attorney, a court official said. The man was
arrested on Tuesday.
Kvitová, who had to undergo surgery and months of rehabilitation after her left, playing hand was slashed with a knife during the attack at her home, said it was good news but the matter would only close for her when the culprit was sentenced.
The two-time Wimbledon winner gave her reaction to the arrest of the suspect in Paris, where she is preparing for the French Open.
An appeals court in Greece has reduced the suspended sentences handed down
to two Czechs for photographing military facilities in the country, Mladá
fronta Dnes reported on Thursday. Martin Pezlar and Ivan Buchta were
previously given terms of two and a half years suspended for three years.
Now they are facing one and a half year terms, also suspended for three
Mr. Pezlar and Mr. Buchta were arrested on the Greek island of Limnos in 2012. They were reported to have taken photos at a military site near the Turkish border to use in creating a computer game.
Police have reportedly arrested a man suspected of attacking tennis star
Petra Kvitová in December 2016, Czech television reported on Wednesday.
Police have confirmed that the case had been reopened a few months ago but
didn’t provide any further details on grounds that it could threaten the
Kvitová was attacked in her home in Prostějov, sustaining severe injuries to her left hand as she grappled with her attacker. After undergoing surgery and rehabilitation she made her comeback at the French Open last year.
The investigation into the attack was shelved in November last year due to lack of evidence.