News Arbitration court orders completion of Prague’s Blanka tunnel complex

19-04-2014 08:29 | Jan Richter

A court of arbitration, part of the Czech Chamber of Commerce, has ordered the building firm Metrostav to complete Prague’s Blanka tunnel complex within five months. The court also said the city of Prague had to pay 4.04 billion crowns to the firm. The decision came months after work on the controversial tunnel was halted last December over disputes between the company and Prague City Hall. A Metrostav spokesman said the firm would resume work as soon as it received the payment while Prague Mayor Tomáš Hudeček said the city would pay the required sum. However, the construction company has in the meantime demanded the city pay another billion crowns; the court of arbitration will deal with the latest petition in June. The Blanka tunnel, designed to channel traffic from the city centre, has been criticized as an overpriced and non-transparent project. Its total costs are expected to reach some 36 billion crowns.

Social bookmarking

For the daily news summary, available after 8pm CET, click here.

All stories

Zaorálek: Halting of flow of refugees through Turkey into Europe unlikely

09-02-2016 19:11 updated | Ian Willoughby

It seems unlikely that the flow of refugees from Turkey can be halted completely, the Czech minister of foreign affairs, Lubomír Zaorálek, said on Tuesday. Speaking in the Turkish city of Izmir, the minister said most refugees currently in the country were willing to try to reach Europe at virtually any cost. Mr. Zaorálek said, however, that conditions could be created in Turkey that would deter migrants from attempting a dangerous crossing of the Aegean Sea. The Czech Republic is donating CZK 10 million to Turkey to help its refugee aid programme. 

Civic Democrats want Stropnický’s head over exchange admission

09-02-2016 16:32 | Ian Willoughby

The opposition Civic Democrats have called for the sacking of the minister of defence, Martin Stropnický of ANO, in connection with the leak of classified information over five Czechs abducted in Lebanon who were released last week. Civic Democrats party chief Petr Fiala said Mr. Stropnický had to go as he recently publicly admitted that the Czechs had been exchanged for Lebanese citizens wanted in the US on terrorism charges. Another opposition party, TOP 09, said the government’s poor handling of kidnappings would threaten Czech citizens’ safety for some years. 

Gap between amount Prague pays into and draws from EU highest ever last year

09-02-2016 14:13 | Ian Willoughby

Last year the Czech Republic drew nearly CZK 152 billion more from the European Union than it paid into the bloc, according to figures released by the Ministry of Finance on Tuesday. It was the highest such gap since the country joined the EU in May 2004. The Czech Republic drew a total of CZK 157 billion from the union’s Structural and Cohesion Funds, as well as receiving CZK 31 billion under the Common Agricultural Policy. Since its accession the Czech Republic has contributed CZK 429 billion to the EU’s coffers and received CZK 990 billion. 

Prague tourist numbers grow almost 8 percent in 2015

09-02-2016 12:52 | Ian Willoughby

Prague saw a year-on-year increase in tourist numbers of 7.8 percent in 2015, according to data published on Tuesday by the Czech Statistics Office. Around 6.8 million visitors were registered in the Czech capital last year, with almost 5.7 million of them coming from abroad. Tourist overnight stays totalled 15.9 million in 2015, which also represented a 7.8 percent rise. 

Suspected high-level leaks over abductions to be investigated

09-02-2016 12:46 | Ian Willoughby

The National Security Authority will investigate the State Security Council over the possible leaking of information, the news website Echo24.cz reported. Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka called for the investigation after details of the government’s actions with regard to Czechs held hostage in Lebanon and Pakistan were made public. The weekly Respekt reported that the state paid USD 6 million for the release of two Czech women kidnapped in Pakistan, while details have also emerged with regard to the freeing of five Czechs abducted in Lebanon and the subsequent release of a Lebanese man in custody in Prague. The State Security council is composed of several ministers and other senior public officials. 

Ex-Brno police chief loses appeal against jail term

09-02-2016 11:55 | Ian Willoughby

Former Brno police chief Jaroslav Přikryl has failed in an appeal against an 18-month jail term for quashing the fines of acquaintances and misusing personal data in police files. Mr. Přikryl – once spoken about as a possible national police president – missed the date he was due to begin serving his sentence, claiming health problems. He was found guilty of quashing traffic fines handed out to 20 acquaintances. 

Security expert: Victim did not attempt to return to kidnappers in Pakistan

09-02-2016 11:46 | Ian Willoughby

Security expert Adam Dolník says it is untrue that one of two Czech women kidnapped in Pakistan for over two years attempted to return to her abductors. Quoting the Czech security services, the weekly Respekt wrote on Monday that Hana Humpálová was stopped at the Turkish border while attempting to reach Pakistan in the autumn. Speaking to Lidovky.cz, Mr. Dolník also said that reporting how much the Czech state paid for the pair’s release would endanger others by raising the expectations of kidnappers. Respekt has defended its actions in reporting that the government handed over USD 6 million for the women’s release. 

Police reject minister’s criticism over failure to act against masked hooligans

09-02-2016 11:31 | Ian Willoughby

The police have rejected criticism from the justice minister for not taking action against masked men hurling missiles at left-wing activists in Prague on Saturday. Police president Tomáš Tuhý said on Tuesday that the force had acted professionally. Suspicions that individual officers acted inadequately are being investigated, he said. The minister of justice, Robert Pelikán, said commanding officers bore responsibility for failing to order action against individuals who were breaking the law by wearing masks and carrying weapons at a demonstration. The minister of the interior, Milan Chovanec, said a proper investigation would take time and rejected what he called “show trials”. 

Hockey: Jágr plays 1600th NHL match

09-02-2016 09:04 | Jan Velinger

Czech legend Jaromír Jágr notched his 1,600th NHL career game on Monday, but his team, the Florida Panthers, lost 3:0 against the Detroit Red Wings. Czech goalie Petr Mrázek got the shutout while Jakub Kindl picked up an assist. 

Poll: ANO, Civic Democrats, strengthen in voter preference

09-02-2016 08:49 | Jan Velinger

A new poll conducted by TNS Aisa as part of a project entitled Trendy Česka (Czech Trends) suggests that the ANO movement would gain 30 percent of the vote in a national election today. ANO finished well ahead of fellow ruling coalition members the Social Democrats, who notched 20 percent. The opposition Civic Democrats ranked third, at 10 percent – one percent higher than the Communists. Opposition party TOP 09 and junior coalition member the Christian Democrats were the last parties to pass the five percent threshold needed to gain seats in the lower house of Parliament. Some 1,200 people were questioned in the poll. 

Featured

Most Popular

Archive

February 2016

MoTuWeThFrSaSu
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
29

January 2016

MoTuWeThFrSaSu
123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

December 2015

MoTuWeThFrSaSu
123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031

Complete archive

Related articles

More

Latest programme in English